Alright troops, I need your help sharing this with our veterans out there. So please get the word out.
Let’s dig deep and find some of those peacekeeping veterans out there who have never heard of the Canadian Peacekeeping Service Medal. If you have 30 days deployed on a recognized peacekeeping or peacemaking operation, you qualify. Some examples would be, Congo, Kuwait(1991), Golan Heights, Cyprus, Croatia/Bosnia, Haiti, Egypt, East Timor, Kosovo, etc.
While we are at it let’s find all of our veterans who served in France, Germany, The Netherlands, and Belgium from 1951 to date. If you had six months accumulative service there, you qualify. Meaning you can combine your time over multiple trips. Also, the rules changed for folks after 2004. So if yo were there then, the qualifying time is a lot less.
For all you NAVY types out there, the SSM NATO applies to you as well. Mostly for you that served on the east coast. Again you need six months prior to 2004, but you can combine exercises and STANAVFORLANT deployments to reach your qualifying time. We just need the ships you were on and the dates.
So heading into the weekend and the lead up to Christmas holidays, please share this post and make folks aware. Share it in your veteran groups, on your personal pages, anywhere we can reach a veteran or their family that may be owed a medal.
Some Oldtimers have been asking about the Special Service Medal (SSM), with the Alert Bar, as well as the other six bars as described here. If You feel that you are eligible for this medal, The Government of Canada has a website that describes the medal, as well as an application form.
Newest Entries in Red
- SUPRAD Oldtimer’s Map
- Naval Association of Canada
- Royal Canadian Navy – Photos & History
- Foreign Service Commuinicators
- Defence Medals Canada (Medal Mounting Service)
Salute! VAC’s monthly e-newsletter
- The Yardam RCNA Newsletter
- MissionVAV: a web-based health promotion program designed to improve the wellbeing of Canadian veterans and their families.
Survivor Benefit Entitlements–Canadian Armed Forces pensions
- Canadian Military History
- 30th Anniversary of Boxtop 22 Crash Near Alert NWT
- Shearwater Aviation Museum
- The Governor General of Canada – Register of Arms, Flags and Badges
- Hong Kong Veterans Commemorative Association
- Gander – The Airport History
- Crowsnest Newsletter
- HMCS Cornwallis Group Photos
- Jerry Proc with links to all SUPRAD Stations
- Directorate of Honours and Recognition (Where to apply for Military Medals)
- Jerry Proc Article on the RCMP vessel St. Roch
- 75th Anniversary of Victory in Europe
- Project 44 (Interactive Maps from D-Day until the end of WW II)
- Mike Bostwick’s Class Photos
- Chief Petty Officer 1st Class / Chief Warrant Officer Corps The Heartbeat of the CAF
- CFS Esquimalt Naval & Military Museum
- Canadian War Museum – WREN Images
- For Posterity Sake – Dedicated to the RCN
- Canadian Forces Affiliate Radio System
- Flight from Thule to Alert
- CFS Leitrim All Ranks Mess
- Pension indexing rate for 2020
- Library and Archives Canada – Military Heritage
- Canadian Military History
- Canada Benefits Finder
- Veterans Affairs Calendar of Events
- Spud Roscoe Amateur Radio Links
- Canadian Military Discounts
- Royal Canadian Naval Association
- Royal Canadian Corps of Signals
- The Canadian Forces Communication and Electronics Association
- The Military Communications and Electronics Museum
- The Canadian Forces Information Operations Group (CFIOG)
- Veterans Affairs Canada
- Office of The Veterans Ombudsman
- Armed Forces Pensioners’/Annuitants’ Association of Canada
- Gloucester Cairn
- The Royal Canadian Legion
- Adopt A Vet
- CARP (formerly Canadian Association of Retired Persons)
- Canadian Military Family Magazine
Note: Ray Lebeau has developed a Funeral Planning Guide, and if you require a copy, please contact Ray at: email@example.com.
If You come across a link that might interest fellow Oldtimers, please pass it along to firstname.lastname@example.org